Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Justice for Asifa and a family story

In the light of everything bizarre and disgusting that's happening in the country, I remember a story that I feel like sharing. My father is a Pediatric Surgeon, we don't talk much other than football results; he forwards motivational videos over whatsapp and sometimes I forward articles that I feel he should read. It was from a friend, who used to be his intern , that I got to know a story that had moved me.
I am aware of my father's brilliance in his field of expertise, I hear it from acquaintances and sometimes from his colleagues and classmates, we had a very modest childhood so it was hard to understand that he was a well known figure, perhaps that's what public service is all about in this country; that was an India just after liberalisation of the economy. A Bengal marred with pseudo commies and their bourgeois terror. 
There was this surgery that he performed a few years ago, may be it's not a big deal, I don't know the exact timeline either. It was on a 3 year old girl. She was raped and when she came in there was no difference between her vagina and her anus, a 3 year old girl. It was a successful operation. A reconstruction surgery. She now leads a normal life, without an inkling of what may have happened to her. May be she still gets nightmares, but in her waking life she is a bright young girl with no memory of monsters that tread this world. 
I felt like sharing this because with everything that's happening, sometimes it's important to carry on with our jobs and restore some sense of normalcy in an otherwise ugly and nefarious place this country of ours is turning into. May be it always was, the more we shy away from the system, from politics, from being opinionated about how things should be, everything that we hold dear can just vanish in the wink of an eye - just like that 8 year old nomad girl and countless before her. 
That's all.

No comments: