Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Into the Island

I

If you have ever been on an island
that had a volcano, spewing up 
noxious gases, I am sure you would
know what it means to grow up in
my kind of a family, except its not true.

I was born in Old Atlantis, or that's what I was told,
before it went down to the sea. Whose blood did they
spill? All the lonely animals in the abattoir-
whose birth and death were forecasted,
whose existence was a daily act of violence-
in whose name we drifted melancholy prayers.

To the wind and to the sea we are all equal.




II

Where I grew up, there were mayflowers, 
and meandering rivers.  

I sometimes wonder if you 
and I would make an island,
one where we would raise grey 
wolves and teach them
to eat the living beasts out 
of people; where a volcano
would lie dormant and Prometheus 
would hide his fire; 
we would sleep beneath  
starry skies and the tropical 
palms will reflect moonlight far into the
 window of an apollo astronaut.

this life that we would share will not 
amount to an ounce of rice, bread and wine-
but all the things that we are 
too little to comprehend. 

There would be no war here, no justice, 
no heroes or villains, 
we would just be, won't we? 

Two mandolin bound
dreamers painting hieroglyphics 
for the new world. 

No comments: