Friday, April 4, 2014

One day in the city hospital -Calcutta

A crying baby caught my attention. I do not like crying babies. It was morning and my otherwise jovial nephew demanded, he be entertained. I am fond of him only when he is playful. Again in small doses.

Afternoon meant the sultry heat, and I hopped into the heart of the city. I had to take care of some 'work'. On account of having a green card, I sat a while in the general ward of a renowned city government hospital today and watched nameless subaltern faces huddle across their demi-gods hoping they would heal them. The luxury of being jobless, comes in handy with lonesome observations. Too many questions and curiosity clouded their faces, too many sickness clogged their veins. At times, their gods would chide them for being inquisitive. It's what gods do. But they heal too. Here for a minimal charge. And they know that too.

These hospitals on any regular days seem like a war-ravaged camps where injured soldiers are treated after a great war. It looked like something I had seen in movies. So much rush. So much health. Being an elite its convenient to avoid such places, it's very convenient. I conveniently avoided touching anyone in this summer heat. Sickness may pass through their skin into mine? It was a mistake to wear half sleeves and get in a place like this after all. That's all I could think. Situational shallowness?

I have seen many great men of my time ponder over 'society' and how it should be, and 'what should be done'. I have seen my contemporaries vehemently argue with each other on 'social systems' and measuring man with laid out rules and benchmarks, forgetting the essence of humanity perhaps, refusing to believe that humans can't be just good, that without law and order and 'social systems' there would be an animalistic anarchy. Predator and prey.
They are right. Aren't they? Open your eyes, read newspapers and all you see is an ever increasing decadence in the idea of humanity. I wonder sometimes. How different is it since we stopped living in the caves?
How different?

Perhaps my political friends are right. But can social systems teach one to be good to another? It doesn't take opulence to survive in this jungle. It's surprising if you ever try to survive you'll find you hardly need much. But we compete, the poor with the poor, the rich with the rich, for the want and not the need. Most of the times. Yes, perhaps our situation makes us good or bad, or shallow,or higher philosophical beings, but a system where one could obliterate all the ills could make us good to one another. May be it's only through restraint and order that love can be taught. I am not big in ideas of what should be done or what needs to be done, but a little act of kindness like paying two bucks extra in a public transport for people like me, doesn't affect our lifestyles. That's what I demand from myself even in my shallow days.

A crying baby caught my attention. I do not like crying babies.

"Baby of Rubaya Begum, edike. Porte likhte jano? Jano na? Accha.
Ei test gulo korate hobe. Beshi taka lagbe na chinta nei. Arekbar eta neeche giye dekhao ora bole debe kothay jete hobe. Ato kotha bolcho keno? Ami ja bolchi mon diye shono. Haan bhalo howe jaabe."

I also met a girl today after a long long time. Some people brings out the good in you. (Not relevant)

No comments: